Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Is It Still Safe to Fly?

We just found some plane debris and luggages and bodies on the sea surface. AirAsia QZ8501.

This is our 3rd Malaysia-related air tragedy in 2014. MH370 went missing in March. MH17 was shot down near Russia-Ukraine border in July. QZ8501 crashed due to a bad weather.

To have 1 aviation incident is bad. To have 2 incidents involving one country is horrible. To have 3 incidents involving one country. It is the WORST NIGHTMARE.

Question: Is it still SAFE to fly?

As a frequent flyer, I have said many times to my friends. If you need to go home, just fly. You easily die on the road. Flying is so cheap. Flying is so quick. 

Just fly.

I can't help but to feel that my advise hasn't been very accurate. Everybody's so spooked while recalling my words. 

We know that today, the aviation technology has been greater, safer and more advanced than ever. ALL statistics show flights are SOOO much safer than road transport, trains, ferries etc.

So why are we feeling so apprehensive? Because 3 incidents involving one country is the worst nightmare. 3 incidents involving Malaysia is a first in the history. 

To twist the word, it means that aviation accidents are RARE

3 incidents involving one country is already the most we can ever encounter. We have thousands of car accidents going on everyday in all parts of the world. 

I have quite a vague idea of what I want to express today. 

All I want to say is, I'm still very confident in aviation. I will still go on flights. But as time goes, I will take weather condition and flight routes into consideration. After all, now we know that in extreme cases, people may wanna bomb you down just because they can and you're at the right place at the right time; and that airplanes are no longer invincible to crazy weathers anymore.

Keep your faith in our aviation industry. We own it. 

Condolences to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment